Frederick Military Academy of Portsmouth, Virginia was founded in 1958 as Frederick College. The military high school and college preparatory school were the fulfillment of a dream of the late Portsmouth philanthropist, Fred W. Beazley, who desired to renovate the former World War II military personnel housing units into a college preparatory school for boys. The academy was named after Frederick T. Beazley and established by the Beazley Foundation of Portsmouth and continued as a privately endowed institution until the final bugle call and lowering of the flag at the Military Academy on June 6, 1985.
The four year liberal arts Frederick College previously relocated to their own campus in 1960. Frederick College closed its doors in May of 1968 and the two year Tidewater Community College reopened in the Frederick College facilities in September 1968.
See our History Page for greater details and the FMA timeline of events.
A Condensed Historical Timeline of Significant Events.
- Frederick College
- FC moves to
New Campus 1961
- FC Closes
Board Dissolved 1968
- FMA Permanently
- First FMA
- Alumni Website
We are not just Cadets, We are Family
Any person who attended, worked with, had a student attend, or was a friend to FMA and Frederick College is welcome to join the Alumni Association.